A beauty & lifestyle blog

Monday 2 January 2017

Top Products of 2016 // Makeup


God I love these yearly round ups don't you? I love finding out what products people just couldn't put down and they usually end up straight on my beauty want list!

Well this (probably not so) little post right here is a round up of every delectable product that I've discovered, loved and used to death this past year - I'm not going to go through every single makeup category because 1.) it would take me a fucking AGE to type the post and 2.) the products in some categories I've been using for years and would have mentioned them at some point or another, like in my 2015 Favourites post - I kinda want to keep this post as a sort of "list of best new discoveries this year". But, for all you curious and nosy creatures out there, I'll pop some of my old ride or dies in an "honourable mentions" sections at the end.

Right, lets get started on this thing (ps. don't you just love a good list of products?! I feel like I'm writing a list right now and this pleases me!) ...

01.   Primer // Too Faced HanoveR X coconut primer 


I think everyone knows about this primer by now right? It really is as good as everyone makes out! Its hydrating, soothing and even if it doesn't make my makeup last longer (which I'm pretty sure it does) it has a load of good ingredients in it and its an extra level of hydration I'm putting on my skin! (Its also smells pretty delicious!)

02.  Applicator // Beauty Blender


This really is a wholey grail! I was dubious at first about this product, but I cant imagine using anything else to apply my foundation now.  I find using a beauty blender over a brush helps the product glide over my skin and not cling to the dry patches! This also gets rid of those awful lines in your foundation that using a brush can sometimes cause! *its not shown in the pictures, its hella dirty and I need a new one stat!

03.   Foundation // It Cosmetics CC Cream


I have a whole post dedicated to this little beaut - you can read that here.  It really is the perfect foundation for dry and sensitive skin! Don't be fooled by the title either, this CC cream packs one hell of a coverage punch!


04.  Contour // Kat Von D Shade + Light Palette


I remember a time when my social media feeds were ram jam packed with mentions of this palette.  I must have seen at least 10 youtube videos reviewing it and I also remember the only place us UK'ers could get it was if we made a Sephora Online order.  Well, when the Kat Von D line launched in Debenhams, I made a bee-line straight for this.  I'm still pretty new at the whole contour thing but this product really is as beautiful and as easy to use as everyone has said! 

05.   Powder // Too Faced Powder


I wasn't too sure on this one at first, I love the Mac Mineralise Skin Finish Powder (in the shade Light) and thought it was basically the same thing, but the more i've used this, the more i've grown to move it.  It gives this complexion this little boost, like you're having a really good skin day.  It also holds up well, doesn't cling to any dry patches and doesn't have that cake-y look about it!

06.  Highlighter // Mac Soft & Gentle


This was a toughie, I've been loving highlighters this year and have bought a fair few! I really struggled to pick a favourite, but it has to be this one.  This is has been the one that I've reached for the most over all the others and isn't she just so pretty! Its not too glittery and gives just the right amount of highlight that isn't too OTT but isn't too subtle either, she's a nice in between highlighter!

07.   Blush // Mac Melba


I'd been after this particular Mac blush for a good few years and decided that enough was enough and it needed to be added to my ever growing collection of blushers. I'm so glad I picked it up, I've been using it non-stop since I bought it -isn't it a gorgeous shade? It gives such a lovely natural flush to the cheeks!

08.   Eyebrows // Maybeline Brow Master


I'v been really pleasantly surprised but this little brow trio! My normal brow pencil (the hourglass brow pencil) when straight to the back of my beauty draws when I discovered this babe! Sometimes if I'm in a rush I just swipe a bit of the brow gel through my brows, it has a bit of colour to it and just neatens them up, perfect for those simple no-faff makeup days (which i have a lot of!) and if I want to go all out with my brows then I run some the powder through them as well.  I love that this also comes with a brow highlight.

09.   Lipstick // Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick in Vampira and NXY Matte Lip in Stockholm


You know that a beauty lover can never just mention one lip product! So naturally I have two here - a red and (surprise surprise) a nude shade.

I won't lie, I mainly bought Vampira for the cool ass name, but this lipstick will forever hold a special place in my heart.  It was the lipstick I was wearing when Tom proposed.  Its also a pretty tasty deep purple-red that is SO autumn/winter.

When the NYX counter came to my local boots, this was one of the first products that I picked up. Its pretty peachy nude that just suits everyone. I also love the texture of this product, it weirded me out at first as its sort of like whipped and creamy, but it dries down to a matte and I just love it.

010.   Setting Spray // NYX Stay Matt Setting Spray


I picked this up around the same time I picked up the NXY Lip Creme I just mentioned (I did a little post on that haul here if you fancy seeing what other NYX products I picked up) and have been loving it. I was never one for setting sprays before, I kinda thought it was just an extra step that I couldn't be bothered with, but this has REALLY changed my opinion on that! I cant believe how long this makes my makeup last - Id say after a spritz of this my makeup lasts for at least a good 9 hours! This little babe is all pretty cheap, doesn't irritate my skin or break me out - winner! I'd be interested in trying out the Urban Decay one everyone keeps raving about!


012.  Perfume // Gucci Guilty


This has been my scent of choice this year! I'm totally crap at explaining scents but to me this is sexy and sophisticated with a hint of sweetness about it and I just love it! I'm sure everyones had a sniff of this by now, but if you haven't, go smell it - once you do you'll want to douse yourself in it!

Honourable mentions:-


Theres are my ride or dies right here, a lot of them made an appearance in last year's favourites post (here) if you want to read about them in more detail, but I couldn't not mention them this year:-

1.   Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Bisque

2.   Nars Radient Creamy Concealer in Vanilla

3.   Benefit Roller Lash Mascara

4.   Rimmel Blush in 010 Santa Rose

5.   Burberry Kisses Lipstick in 05 Nude Pink

I decided to make this post a 2 parter, so stay tuned for my skin care + hair care favourites of 2016 coming up next :)

I cant believe the Christmas and New Years break is now officially over, ugh! I'm going to miss lounging around in my pjs all day! lol Well I gotta pull myself together because I've signed up to a boot camp throughout January and February, eeep! It starts tomorrow after work, wish my luck! xo

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I'm still desperate to try out the too faced hangover primer, sounds amazing!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read and appriciate every single one of them <3

Blogger Template Created by pipdig